Fine Landscape Photographer

Translate

Gary Albertson – Fine Art Landscape Photographer

In 2010, Gary Albertson's 30-plus year career as an award winning corporate graphic designer and acclaimed, internationally collected, fine art landscape photographer seemed at its end, the result of a rare inherited eye disease. Today, with just a fraction of peripheral eyesight remaining, his deep love of nature drives him to adapt against all odds as he continues to refine his photographic art.

“One of the gifts of blindness, especially to a photographer, is the requirement of moving much slower. Composing an image takes me much more time now. I stitch all of the pieces together in my head to finally 'see' shape and form. Oh, what a wonderful sacrifice to slow down. Just give me a hundred yards and two weeks.”

“I started my career in corporate graphic design in 1970. My love of photography began, looking over the shoulders of many large format commercial photographers. In 1980, I designed, produced and self published the award winning book, 'Fire Mountain: The Eruptions of Mt. St. Helens,' royalties from which, allowed me to leave graphic design and turn to a full-time career as a fine art landscape photographer.”

“In 1995, while doing photography on the South Sea island of Roratonga, my kidneys suddenly failed. I barely made it back to the states to undergo dialysis. A year later, I received my sister’s kidney, which gave my life a new purpose; to follow my deep love of nature through the lens. In that same year, I was diagnosed with Pigment Dispersion Glaucoma.”

“In 1999, I moved to the shores of the Metolius River in central Oregon, committing myself to capturing the magical beauty of its waters and surrounding valley.”

From the beginning, Gary’s main camera has been a TOYO 45AX and also randomly switching to a Pentax 67. Advancements in digital photography have compelled Gary to follow, finding its benefits and now his main camera, for 80% of his work, is a Nikon D750. Since 2010, as Gary has lost eyesight, he works with professionals on post-production. He is always hopeful, looking to the future for new ways to enhance his independent spirit.

“For years I have found joy in sharing my photographs and have been giving talks and speeches about adapting, BEING captured before capturing, the art of seeing, not just looking. It has been a Journey Into Blindness. My main purpose is to simply adapt to my limited sight and use it to refine my photographic art. I hope this unique perspective opens a new door or window to the everlasting power of Nature."

Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Calling

No comments:

Post a Comment